Friday, February 19, 2016

I've Got No Style











  Realism?  Stylized?  Abstract?  Whatever.
 Have you heard that an artist must have an identifiable style?.  One that a viewer or customer will recognize immediately.  I have found that difficult to achieve.  Often the material will dictate my style and  sometimes the subject will influence the style. 


Face number 13 for my 29 Faces  in Feb. which I call "Is There a Bluebird on My Shoulder", was done mostly in acrylic. I used colored pencil to blend and shade the face and collage for the background pattern.  I did not use a reference photo for this piece so the features are not exactly perfect.  What would you call this style? 

I did use a photo to draw the next face and I think the features are much better.  But what is all that stuff around her, and that hair! What is that all about?  Actually this was a challenge from Gypseefire's Weekly Art Challenge https://www.facebook.com/groups/188159941531142/?fref=nf.  

 Artists are to create a painting that includes images of at least three of 14 assigned words. I wanted to see how many of the 14 words I could  incorporate in my painting. Trying to fit my work into as many challenges as possible, I also wanted to include a portrait.  This will be number 14  for my 29 Faces  in Feb. 2916.   I also managed to include 10 of the 14 words.  Tah dah!  But what would you call this style?
  
So to make more portraits for the 29 Faces challenge, number 15 and 16 were fairly quickly done whereas #14 took two days of intermittent work.  You know how it goes, time out for dinner, laundry, grocery shopping blah, blah, blah.  These two are drawn with pencil and accented with ink and watercolor.  I would call them realism with a touch of fantasy.


#15 "Flower Girl"

#16 "Mermaid"






















#17 "Young Man With a Crooked Bow Tie"
 For #17, I drew with Papermate mechanical pencil on carpenter paper.  My reference was an old photo of a family group.  There were not many shades of shadow.  Basically there was light, med and dark.  It was almost like drawing a silouhouette. 

#18 "Hubby"





  Number 18 is definately a cartoon, another one of my "I've Got No Style" drawings. 
 I have been turned down a couple of times for juried sites for lack of consistency. I thought it meant that my work showed inconsistency of proficiency.  I had to do some research before I learned that gallery curators and art jurors look for a consistency of style in an artist's work.  This was a surprise since I thought a variety of style in ones' work would display a variety of artistic strengths.  Not necessarily so.  We live and learn.

Be sure to check out the sites mentioned in my post for some great art work.  Some other great art sites are 
Show Your Face
I will be there and so will many other dedicated
 art enthusiasts. 

19 comments:

  1. You are so talented...Gorgeous work all of it...you are too worried about the style...this is what I see... the profile illustration and the hubby are very distinct styles...I would recognize your work anywhere...as beautiful as the other portraits are those are my favorites... I just LOVE them, they are whimsical, fun, full of love and life!! The white hair girl looks like a bit of steam punk incorporated...also a stunning piece!!Which ones do you enjoy creating most!! Love your work...all of it!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giggles. I love working in pencil but I also love making the "assemblage" pieces like "Compendium". I have a though somewhere in the back of my head of doing something more with "Mermaid". Don't know yet.

      Delete
  2. Oh and I meant your personal profile, the lady with the two glasses...which by the way used to be me for years!! lol

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean by Style. I just went on a rant about it on my blog. I understand completely. It's kind of sad how others can dictate what is going to be accepted and what is not. Even in art. I think artists who have a style are just happy creating the same type of art over and over again. I would never be happy doing that. Anyway, I love your STYLE (s) of ART. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we don't sell through a gallery (or not at all as in my case) I guess we can do whatever we want. I one wants to make a living from their art they must conform to the demands of their bosses, the gallery owners and/or customers, just like in any job. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. I really love that mermaid, and the girl with the bird. I think having your own style goes a lot deeper than creating the same type of art over and over again. I wouldn't worry too much about what kind of style your art is, it is your art and the more you create the more recognizable it will become for others as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and helpful words.

      Delete
  5. I love your faces, don't worry about style in time it will apparently show its self. Just enjoy creating huge Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Versatility, that's the word for not having "own style". I have no own style, I like to experience with materials and techniques, that's an adventure, the joy of finding.

    I see that thrill and joy in yours faces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still struggling with finding my style, myself. I think the more you draw and paint, eventually your style will just appear of its own accord. I love all of your faces! Especially the one you did for the facebook challenge, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog paost Magpie (love your name)

      Delete
  8. LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM! I don't worry about developing a style ...I'm still working on developing skills :) I do believe the girl with white hair is my favorite ...this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I don't think the work of developing skills ever ends.

      Delete
  9. I don't know how I missed all these wonderful pieces of art. Each one has so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that about galleries looking for consistency of style. Seems a shame, really. I personally like ALL your styles! :)

    ReplyDelete

DRINK UP

April    Snooping around and found this  wonderful blog Altered Book Lovers and it's drinks challenge.   The little file cabi...