Faces and Goddesses








Not much to say this week.  I have been involved in a number of group challenges that have kept me busy and the yard is too wet to do much gardening.

This is my interpretation of Hestia, the Greek goddess of the hearth and home.  This one took me longer than usual, lots of blending as it is done mostly in colored pencil. 

 Baba Yaga in Slavic folklore is a fearsome looking old woman who flies around in a mortar and wielding the pestle. She sometimes plays a maternal role and has associations with forest wildlife.  She may be helpful or she may hinder those who seek her out.  This one is done in ink stipple.


 



 Paper Flowers
A mixed media of collage, acrylic, gesso, Cray-Pas and pencil.

Linking up with  Paint Party Friday
and 13 Goddesses


 

I discovered a grapevine growing in my backyard.  Hopefully they are human edible and not hard and sour like most wild grapes in Texas.



So many unfortunate people here in the Houston area have lost everything they own due to the extremely heavy rains we have had for the last month.  I consider my self so very fortunate.  This is a brilliant orange and purple sunset after a heavy rain one day.  The photo does not do it justice.





Comments

  1. Such gorgeous artwork...love your goddess and the flowers..the Baba is so fun too. Stunning photos....so sad about those who lose so much to the elements... it always makes me feel even more grateful in the moment!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giggles. Every night when I watch the news I count my blessings.

      Delete
  2. Is Baba Yaga the one who lives in a house with chicken legs? I love your version!

    I didn't know there'd been so much rain down there ... don't watch the news much anymore. The weather sure messes with people's lives, doesn't it? Hope you stay safe, Fran. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes. Yes Baba Yaga's house is on chicken legs. Where someone came up with that bit of the story is a wonder.

      Delete
  3. What a terrific interpretation of Baba Yaga! <3
    We are having heavy rains here in Italy, too. It's so sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry. I knew Paris was getting flooded but I had not heard about Italy. Can't help thinking is climate change.
      Delete

      Delete
  4. Wow Fran! What a beautiful work of art! Your interpretation is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful art - I especially like Paper Flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Artworks, your Goddess are lovely and the paere flowers is stunning, hope you have edible grapes and that most of the rain stays away so things can dry out, we are having lots of rain now while Colin passes through hopefully we will be back to our normal FLorida daily showers soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo, daily showers. When we are burning and dry in August and Sept you can send some of those our way. Thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. Amazing talent showing so many different techniques. I am very happy that you shared your pieces with us!

    I am glad that you are safe from the rains!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts