Make Something Out of a Mess.



I wanted to try an abstract painting. 
I like many abstract paintings but I could not
tell anyone what makes a good abstract.  
"Artwork which takes liberties, altering for instance color and form in ways that are conspicuous, can be said to be partially abstract. Total abstraction bears no trace of any reference to anything recognizable."         (Wikipedia)

 It looks like it should be easy doesn't  it.
  All you have to do is splash some paint around 
in a pleasing manner.  
Easy Peasy. 
 WRONG!  

 A few years ago I made some collage pieces of an abstract nature.
That was fun. 
 Then I took one and made a pencil drawing.


From there I added some paint and ink and some textures, but the attractive arrangement of paint and textures I wished to create did not happen.  Unfortunately I did not take a photo of that mess before I cut it into pieces.


To the largest piece I added a vase and some flowers made of 
torn pieces of a colorful Easter newspaper add. 
The eye changed directions and gender, the spider
was removed and a nose and lips were added, 
 an indication of hair and then more texture. 
 This is a variation of abstract which I feel more comfortable with.
Paper Flowers submitted to 30 Faces in 30 Days
One more drawing for this week, done in pencil,
 submitted to 13 Goddesses.
Meeooowwwrrrr.
The Egyptian cat goddess, Bast. 
Her first identity as Bast in the 2nd Dynasty (2890 BC)
was as a warrior goddess with the head of a lion.
 By  the 22nd Dynasty (c. 945–715 BC,
  she became known as Bastet the protector.


Linking up to Paint Party Friday

Comments

  1. beautiful art - and I really love the Paper Flowers piece with the face-gorgeous! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved watching how the first piece grew ad changed - FANTASTIC! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. I am going to try to keep my camera handy so I can record the process of more paintings. I love to see others process.

      Delete
  3. I always love seeing how others "rearrange" their mess. This is just beautiful Fran! Love it!
    Hugs & a happy weekend,
    Michelle ♥ - #50 at PPF - sorry I'm late ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Funny how most always begin life as a "mess"

      Delete
  4. Beautiful artwork!! Love the 30 faces and 30 days piece....so beautiful with one eye peaking out!! All fun pieces!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - abstract is not easy at all! I think I have officially given up trying. But I like your approach a lot! The lion-goddess is very striking. I love the contrast between detail and simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Minniemie

      Delete
  6. They are all lovely! I especially love "Paper Flowers." I used to paint abstracts often, now only very rarely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I just read a great blog about abstract painters vs realism. http://www.carolelliott7.com/#!How-do-we-find-our-own-style/sua3l/575be5f10cf2b2ec518442df

      Delete
  7. Such an interesting variety of artwork! Love your vase and woman especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful art! Love the Bastet and the paper flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment