Friday, July 29, 2016

Cherished Blogfest 2016 - The Heart Stone


I Like Rocks


Yes, I am a rock hound.  I am always searching
 the ground, looking for interesting  rocks.  
I have a small collection of crystals, geodes
 and interestingly shaped and colored stones.
Though they are not displayed in a case,
 I try to keep up with them by placing them
 on window sills and in flower pots.


My daughters and I found a very special rock
 one summer at the Little River drag strip
 near Temple, Texas.
Little River is a small strip of asphalt
 and grandstands nestled among lush green oak trees  where car hobbyists come to show off their pride and joy toys,  their fast self built,
 or at least self maintained, cars.
 


  My husband has been a car nut all his life 
and had dabbled in drag racing as a hobby
 in his younger years.
 He has had a variety of hobby automobiles
 over the years, 
some fast ones and some that were 
restored classics. 
While he was playing with his latest love,
which at the time of this story was
 a shiny black 1986 Corvette,
 (that's him in the photo above)
 our young daughters and I would relax 
in the shade of the large oak trees in the area 
where the families of the racers would park. 
 People would bring their picnics and cookers
 and make a fun day of it which, 
if your car wins,  could last long into the night.


Unfortunately the only picture I could find 
was taken before the big trees had leafed out.
   There was a lot of gravel where
families and visitors parked their cars. 
As I said earlier, I am a rock hound.  
So enlisting my little helpers, 
we searched the gravel and found this special stone 
which was perfectly shaped like a heart.


 It 's a tumbled river stone which over thousands of years  has acquired a dull patina  as all river stones do.
 I have had it laying around in various locations 
in my home ever since we found it. 
 Over the years it has gained a slight shine
 due to much loving handling.  
I have often wondered what  glorious colors are concealed
 by its dull exterior  but I do not want to risk losing its shape through the tumbling and polishing process. 



A few years ago, I tried my hand at writing a short novel or long story about various fictitious people that would find this stone during  different eras throughout time.
  Of course I never finished it. 
We recently moved and for six months 
I could not find my stone. 
 I feared this story would be all that I had left of it. 
 But eureka!
 While going through my overloaded, 
and unused, sewing box,
 I found it.
 





The heart stone in the photo above,  I painted myself with water color.
However the background stones were made 
with a marvelous little program called Waterlogue.



 Someday, I must finish that story.

This blog post was created for 
 Cherished Blogfest 2016


also linking to  
Paint Party Friday 


39 comments:

  1. Wow, that is such a neat heart-shaped stone and your painting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful piece, thanks for sharing the story and of your love of rock collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we must be sisters who were separated at birth. I love stones and always am on the hunt for ones that speak to me. And my husband's a car nut.

    Your heart rock is precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, they say everyone has a doppleganger. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Fran thanks for participating in the Cherished Blogfest! So neat to hear the story -- rocks follow me home as well. This may publish under our corporate name, MPFConservation, but it's me, Kate Powell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. Always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you found the stone again! It is a beauty. Love the painting, too.

    Yvonne V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, how perfect, Fran! I think you'd be hard-pressed to ever find another rock so perfectly shaped. A treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a rare one. thank you Wendy.

      Delete
  7. You do have some lovely rocks. That heartstone is amazing. It was meant to be found and become special and cherished by someone.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  8. In reading these posts, I've seen a couple that are about objects that were lost for a time. I'm glad you found this beautiful rock again. I am also a bog fan of drag racing and I've spend many hours under the hood of a car. Not as nice as the Vette, but still...

    Thank you for joining us and sharing your story and that lovely stone.

    Dan - cohost - #CBF16

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful piece and story, happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful stone! And the story it inspired sounds very interesting. I do hope you finish it! :)

    Cheers!
    Modern Gypsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to put forward your story. A really nice post to say what’s close to your heart. As a co-host, I thank you for being the part of the Cherished Blogfest and I hope you’re having a great time meeting new and existing blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been fun. Thank you Sharukh.

      Delete
  12. Fabulous post Fran! You and my sister are of kindred spirits! She LOVES rocks as well! Collects them wherever she goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something we cannot help but do. Thank you Mona.

      Delete
  13. I oved your story. I, too, have picked up rocks from time to time because they somehow seemed special. I have several small ones in my garden. My husband's cousin was a geology major and a 4th grade teacher. After she retired she gave us a collection of her rocks, which she had collected from all over the world during her summertime travels. They are in our basement. I really should do something with them. Hmmm. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, things in the basement. We have a way of out of sight out of mind until something reminds us. I like the way I have min on window sills so that light shines through them.

      Delete
  14. First off this week link from ppf isn't working. You may want to reenter it! Congratulations on being featured..I love the piece that won! Love your heart rock and the story behind it! I had a beloved 77 corvette for eleven years! Sold it for more than I paid for it so I understand his allure. It was fun at the time!! Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made a good deal. My hubby often wishes he had his back. Thanks for droppng by.

      Delete
  15. What a nice object to select for this -- it's a really cool shape. I'm glad you found it again. Hope you finish that story someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Maybe someday I will.

      Delete
  16. great find with that heart stone :)

    and really nice watercolour of all the stones

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aha! That's such a rare and a beautiful find!! Simply love your heart rock and collection of other rocks too! Glad that you found your heart rock again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it Shilpa and for your comment.

      Delete
  18. Touching story. Hope you get to finish your story one day. The watercolor of rocks looks very real.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The rocks are pretty and each must hold a memory or two. Glad you found the heart shaped rock again. I hope you get to finish your story about it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I lived in Broken Hill, NSW (Aussie outback) as a child, we would often go rock collecting. I hope you get back to that short novel or long story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh what a unique and special treasure. I collected "special" rocks when I was a young child. I am still fascinated by them. Thanks for joining the CBF and for such a precious memory. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool rocks. I have a little collection too- which I keep in a stone bowl on my coffee table. It fun to have little collections like that. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool rocks. I have a little collection too- which I keep in a stone bowl on my coffee table. It fun to have little collections like that. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete

DRINK UP

April    Snooping around and found this  wonderful blog Altered Book Lovers and it's drinks challenge.   The little file cabi...