MY WORKDESK and WATERCOLOR



I have been trying to take a good photo of the place where I work.
I think this is about as good as it will get.
This big window is in my kitchen breakfast area.  
I love the light but it makes picture taking a little difficult
 due to back lighting.

On my computer screen is a photo from Virtual Sketch Walk
Right now the background colors are drying. 



  One of my favorite things
 is my mug that my husband bought for me.
Unfortunately he dropped it as soon as we got home.
I was able to repair the handle but I don't really trust it for coffee so I use it for paint water.

 




Behind that is a little figurine that was my mothers.
It had been glued back together many times and over time
 all the glued pieces came apart.
So I glued it back together and now she waters her imaginary plants and watches me paint.


Another thing I am proud of is my home made paint palette.
I use Prang watercolor sets almost exclusively
replacing the paint cups with tube paint when they are used up.
My palette is a plastic storage box lid.
Taking the bars of paint cups out of the tins,
 I glued them on this leaving the middle portion for mixing.
Perfect.
*************
This month I am in a challenge to make a watercolor painting
every day for a month.  


We are about half way through the month and I have learned,
or re-learned, a few things.




I re-learned the importance of thoroughly wetting the paper
and taping it to a work board.
This prevents buckling and  surprise puddle spots.


I have also learned that my favorite brushes, the ones that work best for me are big soft ones, smaller ones with very long and soft bristles 
and really tiny brushes for fine lines.

The second thing is don't try to paint too many details.
KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid.
The fewer strokes of a color one uses,
the better it looks.

And the third thing that I have learned is to be patient and let the paint dry before applying another color.
This keeps colors sharp and prevents muddy colors.

 Here is the finished painting that is on my board in the first photo.


And a couple of other watercolor paintings for WWM


 




Comments

  1. Hi Fran.
    I'm visiting from my smart phone and unfortunately I can't see most of your photos. I can see the first two. Love the cup your husband gave you. At least you are using it for part of your craft supplies.
    I've played with watercolors but not in quite a while. I like your points, especially KISS! I have a tendency to over think things.
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I need to get back into it!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Whimsy. I love it that you visited my blog.

      Delete
  2. Hi Fran, thanks for the visit to mine. This is a lovely post with real feeling. It's funny how some things that we really love managed to get damaged but it's probably just that they are so loved that they get more use. I love your homemade paint palette and it's just as good as any you might buy. Have a lovely belated woyww and happy crafting, Angela x 23

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos and wonderful paintings. Happy PPF, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice to see your workplace. My favorite is the boat painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous paintings! I especially love the flower. Your work space is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that painting of the boat is just amazing! And I love seeing where you work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great space to art in and really glorious painting!! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love to see see where one others work! Happy ppf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the virtual walk through your studio. The watercolor paintings are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, your watercolours are exquisite! I always admire someone who can do a great watercolour bc it is a challenge for me. Also love your studio! I find it super inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that big window Fran. It might be hard to photograph but the light must be wonderful. My work space is a dark corner in the spare bedroom. Not complaining because its a really good work space, and its all mine, but I do miss the light. More great watercolors too. I think watercolors are your specialty. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are excellent pointers for this newbie!!! I do admire the real artists!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! Wonderful watercolors and timely tips. Love what I see here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful watercolours. What a lovely light filled studio space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great post with an intimate insight into your beautiful creative space. I loved all the little details, the mug, statue and palette. Oh yes I and loved KISS.
    Thanks for sharing. Beautiful watercolour Fran. Happy PPF to you

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice jaunt through your work space! Loved hearing what is near and dear to you! Also the makeshift palette is awesome! Your painting are a gorgeous top off to this wonderful post! Thanks for sharing everything plus the great tips!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderfully light and airy space to work in. And isn't it good when we can continue to use broken things by giving them a new lease of life in a different role? I find I can't throw away old plates - they become palettes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific painting tips and wonderful paintings! Love the mug too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like a great place to work, and your watercolours are beautiful! I usually struggle most with the patience, getting the right moment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts